Personal Web Site
The rest of me
- Master of Arts
- at Oxford University. My first degree was in Classics (Literae Humaniores), followed by a Diploma in Classical Archaeology.
- Doctor of Philosophy
- also at Oxford, for a thesis on the History and Art of Sikyon, subsequently published as "Sikyon" (Oxford University Press). I contributed articles to "Who was Who in the Greek World" (Phaidon). I was employed for many years by the British Academy as a senior research assistant on its "Lexicon of Greek Personal Names" project.
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- in modern Greek, a language I have found necessary for research purposes, both travelling in Greece and translating Greek archaeological periodicals. However my main linguistic achievement is a translation of William Gager's "Meleager", a Latin tragedy produced at Oxford in the late 16th century, published privately for his descendants.
- in ceramics and subsequently in stone, plus some more unusual techniques. For a long time, I attended evening classes at Bottisham Village College, under various tutors, but now at Impington Village College (in ceramics).
- Married to